Being centrally located on Vancouver Island, there are tons of wonderful day trips, in both the Alberni Valley and other parts of the island. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Take a day trip on the M.V. Frances Barkley. Bring your binoculars and camera and take a ride on this working freighter, with plenty of time to watch wildlife and share experiences with the ship’s crew.
- Spend an afternoon visiting McLean Mill National Historic Site, Canada’s only commercial steam-operated mill. View demonstrations of the saw mill and old time logging techniques as well as original buildings and restored logging equipment. Then take in a show of the resident Tin Pants Theatre Company who will entertain you with old stories and songs about the way it was.
- Ride the Alberni Pacific Railway, a restored 1929 Baldwin ex-logging locomotive that winds through the City of Alberni and surrounding forests. The train boards at the 1912 CPR Station in downtown Port Alberni, and goes to McLean Mill.
- Spend the day at Sproat Lake. To do this, pack a picnic lunch and drive to the Fish and Duck Pub on Faber Road, where you can rent a speed boat. From here you can visit Fossli Provincial Park and walk to the waterfalls, then ride into Two Rivers Arm for a picnic and a swim. Head back to tour the Petroglyphs at Sproat Lake Provincial Park and see the water bomber base. A great day trip.
- In the morning hike the Log Train Trail to McLean Mill. You can hike back to your vehicle or take a taxi. In the afternoon visit one, or both, local wineries.
- Take a back country driving tour to Nahmint Lake. This takes you around Gracie Lake, along the north side of Nahmint Lake to the Alberni Inlet, then back to Port Alberni.
- Visit the Horne Lake Caves, where you can see crystal formations and ancient fossils.
- If you visit in the early summer or fall, don’t miss a morning excursion to see the salmon jumping at Stamp Falls. There are phenomenal numbers. Mid-morning is best on a sunny day as the sun falls into the pool below the falls and you can see hundreds of them lined up waiting their turn.
- Enjoy a drive through the mountains to Pacific Rim National Park. Have lunch at the interpretive centre or in Ucluelet, take in Amphitrite Lighthouse and a walk on the wild Pacific Trail and be back in Port Alberni for dinner.