Discover Local Flavor at the Farmers’ Market
One of my favorite ways to discover local flavour (of all sorts) is to visit the Farmers Market, wherever I may be. Since it is always family friendly and entertaining, I make an effort to find farmers markets when travelling. Lucky for me, Port Alberni boasts not one, but TWO markets every Saturday, all year around, where you can find homemade, homegrown, and handmade products to see and try.
Farm market regulars will tell you that experiencing local foods — learning their origin, meeting the people who grow or produce it, tasting, and developing an appreciation for the ingredients — makes cooking and eating more enjoyable. More than just a collection of vendors, the farmers market brings together area businesses, local farms and community members to mingle over a shared love of fresh produce, hand-crafted goods and conversation.
Check out these Farm Markets in the Alberni Valley during your next visit:
Port Alberni Farmers’ Market
Hard working farmers, builders, crafters and so much more. All year around and is a good family fun atmosphere. (source)
Spirit Square Farmers’ Market
The Spirit Square Farmers’ Market is proud to provide a central venue that connects Port Alberni farmers with the local community, set against the beautiful backdrop of the Harbour Quay. (source)
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL FARM MARKET VISIT
If we have piqued your interest and you are ready to embark on a local food and craft odyssey here is a list of tips to help make the day a success!
- Umbrella or Sun Hat? – make sure to check the weather forecast beforehand so you are not rained out or sun burned
- Cash is the Currency – farmers and artisans primarily accept cash only so bringing some bills in small denominations will make transactions go much smoother
- Bring a Bag – bringing a few shopping bags will help contribute to a greener more sustainable shopping trip as well as help you comfortably carry around your purchases
- Ask Questions – Don’t be afraid to make an inquiry if you are unsure of a product, the vendor will likely have plenty of knowledge on what they are selling. They may even have some essential tips for storing or preparing the product, so it never hurts to ask!
- Don’t Forget to Set Your Alarm – getting there early will ensure you get the best selection vendors have to offer. There is nothing worse than seeing that empty table with the words “Fresh Cherries – SOLD OUT”